February 27, 2020
Our Plexus Ambassadors and Customers are among the most ingredient and label-savvy people out there. That’s a big part of why we are so committed to ensuring you have all the information you need to make informed decisions about our products.
New FDA Fact Panel Requirements
This year, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is updating the Nutrition and Supplement Facts Panels for all food, beverage, and dietary supplements. These changes are being made to help provide consumers with access to more accurate information based on updated scientific information and new nutrition and public health research. That means, consumers will ultimately be able to make better food choices.
In accordance with new FDA regulations, Plexus will be updating our product labels throughout 2020. You may have already heard about these updates or have seen some of these changes on the products you purchased, including newer Plexus products. Manufacturers will be releasing products with the new labels over the course of the year, so you may see both versions in the meantime.
We want to ensure you that, while you may see updates to our labels that align with the new FDA regulations, our product formulas will not be changing.
What Are The Changes?
The updated Nutrition and Supplement Facts Panels will apply to all food, beverage, and dietary supplements in the U.S., not just Plexus products. Take a look at the image below to see the new labels.
There are six main changes you will see on the new labels. They are:
- The “Serving Size” and “Servings Per Container” areas are now larger and/or bolder.
- The “Calories” section is also larger and bolder.
- “Calories from Fat” is removed. This is due to research showing that tracking healthy versus unhealthy fats is more important than calories from fat.
- “Added Sugars” are now displayed and listed in both grams and percent. Added sugars can include sugars that are added during the processing of foods and sugars from syrups, honey, and fruit and vegetable juices.
- Daily values and percentages for the nutrients section have been updated due to new guidelines on recommended amounts.
- The footnote at the bottom is worded a bit differently to better explain Daily Values Percent (DV%).
How Will These Changes Affect Plexus Products?
We know that you, our Ambassadors and Customers, want only the best ingredients for you and your families. And, we want the same for each of you! That’s why we’re dedicated to providing the best products made with the highest quality ingredients.
Rest assured, our product formulas will remain the same, even if their Supplement Facts or Nutrition Facts Panels look different. These are the same amazing health and happiness products you know and love!
The only changes to Plexus products will be the new labels. The most obvious change you’ll notice will be differences in DV% (Daily Value Percent). As mentioned, DV% will be updated to reflect new recommended nutrient amounts. This means that some of our vitamin and mineral contents may appear higher or lower in some cases. This is simply due to adjustments in the way those daily values are calculated.
As always, we will keep you in the loop if there are any additional changes. Check out the below resources for more information.
Watch this video to learn more about label comparison.
posted 7 months ago