January 6, 2021
It’s no secret water is essential for our bodies. The human body is made up of about 60% water, which is why maintaining a healthy water intake is crucial to our Health and Happiness.
Whether you’re looking to manage your weight, shed those extra pounds, or feel energized to take charge of your day, drinking water is a simple yet effective way to stay on track with your health goals.
6 Benefits of Staying Hydrated
First things first. Let’s take a deep dive into water consumption. Did you know adequate hydration can impact everything from improving physical and mental performance to aiding in weight loss?
Here are just a few of the many benefits of drinking water:
- Maximizes physical performance – It is especially important to drink up when increasing your daily activity and starting a new health routine. Dehydration can hurt physical performance for more than 30 seconds of activity, which, let’s face it, means any sort of exercise.1 Drinking plenty of water will help you power through physically exertive activities.
- Increases energy – Working toward your health goals has enough obstacles. Don’t add to them by neglecting your water intake. Mild dehydration can cause your energy and mood levels to drop. Keep your body refreshed and your energy up by guzzling plenty of water throughout the day.
- Promotes brain function – Losing as little as 1-2% of your body’s water content can significantly impair your cognitive performance. Maintaining your hydration levels can not only help reduce headaches; it also supports memory, critical thinking skills, and alertness.2
- Aids digestive health and weight loss – Are hunger pangs driving you to the kitchen? Instead of reaching for the snacks, try drinking a large glass of water. Hydration can increase satiety and help you opt for healthier eating. Plus, a healthy water intake boosts your metabolic rate and promotes better digestion and regularity.3 So, if you want to look and feel like a tall glass of water, drink up!
Special Tip: Add to your weight management support with our Plexus® weight loss products. We’ve helped thousands of people every month rediscover their confidence with the products, tools, and individual support you need to break through the barriers and form sustainable habits.
- Regulates body temperature – Physical exercise and hot environments cause our bodies to lose moisture. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids every time you break a sweat to replenish your body’s water and electrolytes and keep it cool.
- Brightens skin – Water helps keep your skin looking and feeling great. Drinking water helps give it a healthy glow by flushing toxins from your body, cleansing your skin, minimizing puffiness, and reducing the risk of clogged pores.4
Am I Drinking Enough Water?
Now that you know how beneficial water can be, how much should you actually consume in a day? Eight cups? Half your body weight in ounces? One full gallon?
Chances are, you’ve heard plenty of guidelines for how much water you need. The truth is everybody is different. As with our food intake, the amount of water we need varies from person to person. It might even be helpful to talk to your doctor to determine the right amount for you.
While there are no hard and fast rules for how much to drink, here are a few tips to keeping your body hydrated:
- Have a full glass of water first thing when you wake up. This will help to refuel your body and kick-start your digestion and metabolism.
- Drink plenty of water before each meal and throughout the day. Fill your favorite water bottle and carry it with you to make it easier to remember.
- Is that afternoon slump tempting you to grab caffeine or sugar? Try gulping down a glass of cold water to boost your energy instead.
- Mix it up! If you’re looking for ways to refresh your water, try stocking your freezer with frozen fruits and adding them to your water.
- Set a goal and track your water consumption by using your favorite health app. If you’re in the market for the right app, try Daily Water Tracker, Hydro Coach, or Water Minder, or search your app store to find the perfect option for you.
Something as simple as staying hydrated can help you rediscover your passion for healthy living and get on track to feeling confident, fit, and energized. We’ll drink to that!
posted 9 months ago